Wednesday, July 1, 2009

College or Career? Are We Pushing Our Students in the Right Direction?

As educators, we are all thrilled to hear the college choices of students as they near their graduation from high school. But how do we react when students tell us they aren't going to college? Do you pressure them to rethink their goals, saying that employment is difficult without a college education? While I do tend to strongly advocate college to my students, I am mindful that there are students who aren't cut out for college. So, why not promote careers that don't require a college education? Many blue collar careers make very good money with some making more than $50,000 a year.

Instead of encouraging all students to head for college, maybe we should encourage some students to look at career options that do not include traditional four-year college. Not every student is cut out for the college path with roughly 39% of high school graduates entering college, and college dropout rates have risen. For years now the education system in Europe has given students choices in their secondary education. Students choosing the path towards a college education take classes that prepare them for that experience. Students who are aiming towards a vocational career are given the opportunity to take classes that are geared towards more “blue collar” trades. High schools in Louisiana may soon be giving students a similar choice, offering “career diplomas” earned by taking classes that prepare students for jobs, career training, or community college. While some may see this as contradictory to the aims of the nation’s education system and No Child Left Behind, I believe that this system is realistic in that it is acknowledging that not all students are going to go to college. This is a system that could very well work to keep more students in school as it would ready students for employment that does not require a college degree.

I have long been a fan of the European education system, in more aspects than just this one. The students who don’t wish to take advanced mathematics and science, knowing that they aren’t on the college path, could instead take classes teaching them customer service skills, techniques of their desired trade, and management skills. Would we be doing students on a career path a disservice by not requiring advanced courses? I don’t believe so. I believe we are doing students who are looking at a trade profession a disservice by not putting the same emphasis on the preparations for their path that we give college bound students for their path.

So the next time a student tells you that they aren’t college bound, don’t get discouraged. Instead, discuss what their plans are and encourage them on their path should it be going right into a career or attending a two-year school to learn a trade. As long as they have a plan, chances are they will do just fine.

4 comments:

  1. This may sound weird but I don't really get upset when kids say they aren't going to college. I realized a long time ago that college isn't for everyone. My belief is everyone has a role to fill in society and some jobs don't need higher education. My cousin, for example, is a welder and makes more money than I'll ever make. I think the important part is people find something they are happy doing and can they make a living. If these questions are answered then they are free to do whatever they want.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stacey, I am used to be that person who would in my mind panic and think, "you are throwing your life away...go to college." Now after graduating and seeing that not everyone graduates college and people still find jobs and move along with their careers I think I am pro-student interest education. If a student thinks that they are more suited to go out into the workplace and look for a job immediately then I will encourage them to follow their dreams. I did not know about the European school system but I think it makes complete sense. Why put a student through classes that they are not interested in and might be too difficult for them? We are just telling them over and over that college will be too hard and that they are not good enough. We want kids to succeed so let them to something they will be successful with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I admit I have double standards! I think students shouldn't be pressured into attending college and should find their own calling. If they decide to go back to school after working in a field they tire of, more power to them...except for my kids. I am guilty of telling my 9 year old and 14 year old they will regret not going to college. I shouldn't place that burden on their shoulders. Rather, I should let them learn on their own. I remember judging a speech meet and noticing a young kid I was sure would go into politics and become some huge public speaker- or future president. At first, I was a little disappointed when I saw him working at a local retail store and he said he wasn't going to college. I am sure he saw the look of disappointment on my face...and wish I could take that back. I think career counselors do a pretty good job of helping student’s weigh their options and providing them with information and resources to make these decisions. As a parent, I will probably have to learn to back off, let my children decide what path to follow, and support their decisions...even if I cringe just a little at the thought of them not furthering their education.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought about this very subject when the Bismarck School Board opted to increase the number of credits required for graduation. Students that are not college-bound may have difficulty completing some of these credits and I have to question whether that may lead some to drop-out or get their GED insead of a diploma. Someone in my family used to always say, "The world needs ditch-diggers too." and I have to agree. Every job is a worthwhile job, from retail clerks to plumbers. I always tell my kids to do whatever they think will make them happy and will provide them with at least an adequate income to make a living, college or not.

    ReplyDelete